Radio communications networks and services are used in government for a range of operational purposes, both critical and non-critical. Mobile radio communications remain a 'mission-critical' tool for law enforcement, public safety and emergency services organisations. Essential service providers in areas such as transport, energy and water supply also rely heavily on mobile radio communications for everyday communications and business activity and during incidents and emergencies.
NSW Telco Authority and its Advisory Board are responsible for the strategic direction of radio telecommunications across the NSW public sector. This includes determining a whole-of-Government strategy, prioritising investment decisions, and developing and implementing State-wide policy affecting planning, development, operations and maintenance.
Services provided by the Authority include:
- Identification, development and delivery of appropriate technologies to improve communications to enable clients to more effectively serve the community
- Development of policy, standards and guidelines to ensure consistent, robust and reliable communication services are effectively delivered whilst identifying and managing risks
- Management of the NSW Government’s radio communications assets and infrastructure, including spectrum
- Thought leadership and centralised access to information and developments in radio and digital technology and program delivery
- Professional advocacy in state and national regarding spectrum policy, allocation and regulation